Monday 17 March 2008

The Bruised Reed - Book review

I've finally finished reading The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes.

The following is a short book review I posted on the book over at Shelfari.

This book is the very first puritan book I've read and the only one so far. It was at times difficult to understand the language even though they are to some degree edited for the modern readers. But you must take into account the fact that I am not a native English speaker.

When I started reading it, I was rather a bit desperate for God's comfort. I had been feeling down and out for various reasons including church and ministry matters. A quote from Martyn Lloyd-Jones on the back cover was especially inviting for that matter. It reads, 'I shall never cease to be grateful to... Richard Sibbes who was balm to my soul at a period in my life when I was overworked and badly overtired, and therefore subject in an unusual manner to the onslaughts of the devil... I found at that time that Richard Sibbes, who was known in London in the early seventeenth century as "The Heavenly Doctor Sibbes" was an unfailing remedy... The Bruised Reed... quietened, soothed, comforted, encouraged and healed me.'
Thankfully, I found the similar effects many times while reading the book. The early few chapters and final few chapters were especially helpful for me, while the middle section seemed a bit too complex, but then that may as well be just me.

For better or worse, I cannot say I am fully recovered from and overcame all of the depressive-ness I was going through after reading this book. But this book has given me hope and strengthened me during the hard times and I know it will have a lasting effect on my journey in Christ. And for that, I thank God who raised up such leaders as Richard Sibbes and moved them to write.

I recommend this book for those who are going through a difficult time of their lives and yet trying to hold on to the One "who will not break the bruised reeds nor quench the smoking flax."


PS. You can find quotes and comments I posted on the book here.

No comments: