Thursday 2 August 2007

Quotes from "The Cross" 1/5 - On authority

So here were people in confusion, and they are, as I pointed out, in confusion today. Nothing is more necessary than that we should be perfectly clear about our authority, and there are only two ultimate authorities: the bible, or anything else you like. There is no other choice. Everybody bases his opinion either upon this book or else not upon it. I do not care what it is if it is not on this. There are many possibilities apart from this, it does not matter, because they are all the same in that they are not the Bible.

- p. 40, The Cross, Martyn Lloyd-Jones

I often base my opinions on my experience apart from God's word. Sometimes on popular trends I base my opinions totally apart from God's holy word. I should read and know my Bible more in order to un-learn much of my knowledge. God help me.

No comments: