Friday 18 May 2012

Better to be counted with the ignorant Christians


I should have said, "that's hardly a complement."

At one point during our mildly heated arguments about the worldview of atheism and of Christianity, my friend said to me, "you are not the type of religious people they (the militant atheists) are concerned about."
I knew what he meant. He was saying that the religious people the atheists have troubles with are those unreasonable, illogical, over-zealous, fundamental, unscientific sort.
I should have said it's hardly a complement.
No, I should have known it was not a complement. It wasn't. But I was too quick to imagine and revel in the supposed fact that I was acceptable and respectable in atheists' eyes. I was not repulsive to the intelligent people. I was not unreasonable. I was not ignorant and hot-headed.

I should have known better. I should have known that it is far better for me to be counted with "ignorant" and "passionate" Christians even if that meant I was going to be despised and ridiculed by atheists. I should have known that it was far better to have the world unworthy of me than to be seen worthy by the world. (Heb 11:36-38)

No comments: