Wednesday 9 September 2009

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards: #36, #37, #38

36. Resolved, never to speak evil of any, except I have some particular good call for it. Dec. 19, 1722.

This sounds familiar. See #16. Apparently, I didn't understand what 'speak evil of' meant. I now think it simply means to speak something bad about someone. To be sure, that "bad" thing about someone would not be unfounded in truth. It's probably referring to some kind of flaws, or even sins that person has. Edwards is resolved not to speak of such flaws and sins of others unless it is necessary in order to bring some good out of it.

37. Resolved, to inquire every night, as I am going to bed, wherein I have been negligent, what sin I have committed, and wherein I have denied myself: also at the end of every week, month and year. Dec.22 and 26, 1722.

Not because I am working to gain or sustain my salvation, but to work out my salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in me, both to will and to work for God's pleasure. (see Phil 2:12-13)

38. Resolved, never to speak anything that is ridiculous, sportive, or matter of laughter on the Lord's day. Sabbath evening, Dec. 23, 1722.

Okay, I'm a serious guy, but not as serious as Mr. Edwards. Is this really necessary?

(Source: A Puritan's Mind)

No comments: