Thursday 10 January 2008

Reading offline as well as online

My Google Reader tells me that:
From your 75 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 7,097 items, starred 9 items, shared 91 items, and emailed 0 items.

I've been reading a lot online. Granted, I only skimmed over many of the 7000 items, and many of them aren't even the full articles, but only excerpts. But it's still quite a lot.
There are hundreds of great articles churned out by very productive writers every day. Among them, I try to read the internetMonk (by Michael Spencer), ChalliesDotCom (by Tim Challies), Between Two Worlds (by Justin Taylor) and the Desiring God blog. There are also blogs by Gordon Cheng, Eddie Byun, and there are just so many blogs to read including some by my friends. The briefing produces great articles too. There are news articles to read, opinions, current culture trends, technical, Java programming related blogs and articles, and I didn't want to miss out on any of them. Considering how slow I am at reading, I've been reading quite a lot, and many of them were very helpful in many ways including spiritual benefits.
But an unfortunate side effect of spending so much time on the net was that I haven't been reading books much in recent days. The blogs and online materials have their values, but I also happened to own many books that are really worth reading, and I have been neglecting them.

So I've picked up reading again from Monday this week.
There are three books that I should finish reading, and it's been long over due.
1) Life At Its Best (by Eugene Peterson)
2) Knowing God (by J. I. Packer)
3) Getting the Gospel Right (by R. C. Sproul)
These are the books that I was reading before and never finished. I (re)started with "Life At Its Best", and its content is very soothing to my heart at the moment.

Friends, what are you reading these days?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Dice Man (Luke Rhinehart). It's dark, perverse and twisted, but intriguing all the same.