Saturday 10 November 2007

Gutsy Gibbon

I've been looking around to buy a new computer (preferably a notebook) for a few weeks now.
My current computer was becoming too slow and unreliable and I was worried that it would die on me suddenly. I already fixed it 4 times and spend around $600, and I didn't want to spend any more money on it. I also planned to install Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) as my operating system on this (old) desktop for a while.

Well, the time has come.
No, I haven't bought a new computer yet, but when my windows was infected with a Trojan tonight, I thought it was time. As I type, my computer is being formatted and installed with Ubuntu 7.10. I was a little concerned at first when the Live CD failed to install. I found that there's some conflict with my dual-boot I configured years ago with RedHat 9. Fortunately, when I ran Windows-based Ubuntu installer (I don't know how else to describe it. I'm not as Tech-savvy any longer, but that's ok. Ubuntu seems easy enough ;-), Ubuntu installer worked as it should.

Now, I might have lost some data I've been junking up on my hard drive, but hopefully all those data I backed up will contain everything essential and will be useful when I get a new notebook computer.

Anyways... if any of this posting does not make sense to you, friends, do not worry, I'll just show you what Ubuntu is and can do when you visit my house next time.

No comments: