Wednesday 16 July 2008

The Religious Affections


About two weeks ago, I decided to participate in "Reading the Classics together" by Tim Challies. The book chosen this time is The Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards. I wanted to read this book for a while now, but I didn't start reading it because I wasn't sure if I could read through this book from the 18th century within any reasonable time. But by joining a group of people reading the same book, I thought I would get an extra motivation to work through the difficult phrases and vocabularies. I've just read the introduction by Alexander Smellie (a Scottish Presbyterian minister from the late 19th - early 20th century) and the preface by Jonathan Edwards himself. Surprisingly, I found Edwards' words easier to read than Smellie's and I hope it is an indication for the rest of the book, I may not have to strain as hard as I thought.

Anyways, it isn't too late yet, if you want to participate in this as well, check out Challies' post and decide for yourself.

No comments: