Thursday 17 April 2008

Having fun with new Facebook feature, Lexicon

Facebook launched a feature called Lexicon.
What it does is that given a term (or more separated by commas), it shows a graph of how many of the Facebook users used that given term each day over a period of time.
I played with it for few minutes yesterday and found something interesting.
When I searched for 'yes' and 'no', it gave me the following result.


The graph shows that far more people used 'no' than 'yes'. Does this mean that we are more negative than positive? Or does it mean we are simply more expressive about something negative?

Just a random thought I had which is statistically, socially, scientifically imprecise.

Some other interesting searches:
- God, Jesus (Lexicon is case-insensitive): See the crazy spike around Christmas, and a moderate, but still significant one around the Easter.
- love, hate: I guess a lot of people are saying something like, "No, I love you!" than "Yes, I hate you!" ;-) Also, notice the spike around Christmas and Valentine's Day.
- Obama, Clinton, McCain: I'm not that into politics, I just hear a lot about it these days.

No comments: