Thursday 1 January 2015

Reading Plan 2015

Another year, another reading plan!
Last year, I planned to read 30 books. As expected, my reading didn't go as planned, but I ended up reading 25 books. Many of them were short (around 100 pages long) or not from the initial list, but I'm satisfied with the result. I've read more than the year before.

This year, I aim for 35 books, excluding 5 individual books from the bible. I've already started many of these, so hopefully, I'll get through most of them this year. Also, some of these are more like a study book or textbooks. I'm hoping these will help with my studies in some ways.

As usual, I will continue to read the bible throughout the year, not just the 4 books I selected within it. I'll simply try to pay a little more attention to those 4, perhaps consulting one or two commentaries at times.

Bible
John
Numbers
Hosea
1 & 2 Timothy

Theology
Systematic Theology by John Frame
God of Promise by Michael Horton
Westminster Confession of Faith by G. I. Williamson
The Cross of Christ by John Stott
Showing the Spirit by Don Carson
Christianity and Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen
Living in God's Two Kingdoms by David VanDrunen
Antinomianism by Mark Jones

A Treatise on the Christian Faith by Hermann Witsius

History/Biography
The Early Church by Henry Chadwick
The Reformation by Owen Chadwick
Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas

Other Christian
Leading Better Bible Studies
Gospel Wakefulness by Jared Wilson
The Pleasantness of a Religious Life by Matthew Henry
Redeeming Science by Vern Poythress
The Pastor's Kid by Barnabas Piper
Taking God at His Word by Kevin DeYoung
Hope Beyond Cure by David McDonald
The Trellis and the Vine by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne
The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper
God's Big Design by Vaughan Roberts
Counsel for Christian Workers by Charles Spurgeon
A Heart for God by Sinclair Ferguson
Fatherhood by Tony Payne

Culture/Novel
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Why You Are Australian by Nikki Gemmel 
Till we have faces by C. S. Lewis

Other
Basic Greek in 30 Min. by Jim Found
Logic by Vern Poythress
Sheet Music by Kevin Leman
Basics of Biblical Greek by William Mounce
Grammar of Poetry by Matt Whitling
Grammar for Grown-ups by Craig Shrives
How Not to Write by Terence Denman

I welcome book suggestions, so feel free to comment to let me know. I may choose to read that book instead of what I listed here.

No comments: