Thursday 10 February 2011

Joy for a Christian

For the Christian, human joys are a small foreshadowing of the joys that are in store. Terrestrial happiness is only a foretaste of eternity. As the book of Revelation 21:4 puts it, "God will wipe away every tear, and there will be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, for the former things are passed away." It is in this spirit that the Christian awaits this final moment of destiny, relishing the gift of life while every day proclaiming, "Even so, come, Lord Jesus. We are ready."

- p. 308, What's so great about Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza


My pastor and friend Bernie quite often emphasises joy. Joy of being a Christian. Joy offered to a Christian. Joy of knowing God. Joy that God eternally enjoys. Joy that is promised.
At first I thought it was quite a new approach to living the life as a Christian. But then I discovered (thankfully) that Bernie was not the first Christian to say it. John Piper does it. Martin Lloyd-Jones did it.
And I started seeing it in the Bible for myself as well.
Lately I saw it in the concluding paragraph in an apologetic book by Dinesh D'Souza quoted above.

These days, I wonder why it took me so long to realise that God is joyful and it is good news for us that God is joyful and we have so much more joy to experience and look forward to as Christians. It could've been my personality that I'm born with. It could've been my childhood upbringing. It also could be coming from my sin. But whatever the cause, the important thing is that I know there is immense joy offered to me. I feel as though I am only starting to see why and how the good news of Jesus is the good news for me as a believer.

No comments: