Sunday 4 October 2009

Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards: #39

39. Resolved, never to do anything that I so much question the lawfulness of, as that I intend, at the same time, to consider and examine afterwards, whether it be lawful or no; except I as much question the lawfulness of the omission.


This one is a little confusing. I think here's what Edwards is saying.
When the lawfulness of an action is questionable in my mind, and would lead me to re-examine the situation again afterwards, I will not commit to that action. One exception to this rule, however, is that if I would also question the lawfulness of inaction as well, then I cannot be bound by this resolution.

Did I parse Jonathan Edwards' words correctly? Anyone care to correct me if I'm wrong?

But if I did understood his words rightly, then, I think this would be a good model for me when I am faced with dilemmas.

(Source: A Puritan's Mind)

No comments: