Tuesday 6 October 2009

Book Review: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

I think one could brush this book off as a mere collection of weird stories.
The fact that they are grounded in real clinical cases may cause some others to ponder on the stories a little bit longer.
For others, these real life cases and the deeply thoughtful and sometimes even hopeful analysis of them would provide a rich source of extraordinary human lives, from which humanists may glean much that supports their ideals.

As a Christian, I saw much brokenness in all of the cases, even though some may protest against such labelling. I hope they don't misunderstand me. I think Dr. Sacks himself would understand me saying that all people in the book, Dr. Sacks included, are one way or another "broken" beings. When one acknowledges his brokenness, a Christian redemption can be explained in a way that is especially charged with hope. In this view, I think I can recommend this book to all.

You can buy this book from Borders or Amazon.

No comments: