Friday 17 July 2009

Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards: #29

29. Resolved, never to count that a prayer, nor to let that pass as a prayer, nor that as a petition of a prayer, which is so made, that I cannot hope that God will answer it; nor that as a confession, which I cannot hope God will accept.

How many times have I prayed to God without really expecting Him to answer or accept my prayer? How easily did my prayer become un-genuine with so little faith in Him?
Edwards even refuses to call that a prayer.
Faithless prayer is indeed not a prayer at all. Do I really believe that God is gracious and merciful Father as He revealed through the scriptures? If so, praying without hoping God would listen to my prayer is dishonouring to Him, for I am no longer trusting His words. May God's graciousness and sovereign power be displayed through faith of His people.

"I believe; help my unbelief!"

(Source: A Puritan's Mind)

No comments: