Friday 24 April 2009

Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards: #21

21. Resolved, never to do anything, which if I should see in another, I should count a just occasion to despise him for, or to think any way the more meanly of him.

Two thoughts spring from this.
1) Watch yourself, and do not be a hypocrite. And when I say, "don't be a hypocrite", I don't just mean that we all should stop judging each other, lest we found guilty of the same sin. But rather, as Jonathan Edwards says here, as soon as I realise that I am guilty of any sin, misbehaviour, wrong, I will strive my utmost to get rid of it.
2) As much as it depends on me, I shall not give any stumbling block for others, giving an opportunity for them to pass judgement. Rather, I will live up to the highest standard I can think of.

(Source: A Puritan Mind)

No comments: