Wednesday 21 January 2009

Tiny Book Review: Knowing God by J. I. Packer

I've forgotten how long I have been reading this book. I think I first picked up this book at least 3 years ago, and started reading it no less than 2 years ago. So I took a very long time reading it. I would read a chapter or two in a couple of days, then I would leave it for weeks or months before I picked it up again to read another chapter or two. Now, Phillip Jensen once encouraged his audience to read this book but warned us that this book is particularly packed with deep thoughts that if you read it in one sitting, you would have proved that you are completely illiterate. Yes, it is a heavy reading, and it's a kind of book that you would read a chapter and ponder on it to digest what you just read. But, 2 or 3 years? I think it's a bit ridiculous. In fact, when I picked it up again last month, I flicked to the first chapter, and the ideas presented to me there was so fresh it was strange to me. What I'm trying to say with all this is that, you wouldn't need to spend that much time in reading this book, it's not THAT heavy or difficult. So take your time reading this book, but don't take too long like I did. At the same time, if you did read this book a while ago, I would suggest that you will benefit from reading it again. You might be able to move through the book a bit faster than the first time, but I'm pretty sure that after a couple of chapters, you will want to ponder on again and pray that your world-view, your value-system will be re-defined by what you've just learned (or re-learned). That's a good thing.

I thoroughly recommend this book to any Christian who wishes to know God more deeply than before.

You can get this book from Koorong or Amazon.

No comments: