Sunday 11 November 2007

Gutsy Gibbon - 3

Ok, I give up. Ubuntu 7.10 is running well and all is fine now... as long as I don't try to change settings, or try something new. I admit that in the eyes of linux experts I must look ignorant and stupid, but after re-installing Gutsy Gibbon about 20 times over two days, it would be the linux enthusiasts who are presumptuous in claiming that linux is as easy as Windows (whatever that means). I now pretty much gave up on trying to fine-tune my system including my monitor/display settings, desktop effects, performance tuning, etc. Sure, everything is working ok, but all the bells and whistles features are not running and everytime I try to make it work, the whole system denies me. So, I will contend myself with just an ability to do simple word processing and surfing the net... for now.

I have to say though, after trying out Ubuntu installation, linux still has *A LOT* to catch up compared to Windows or OS X in terms of driver support and making things run "out of the box". This isn't entirely linux camp's fault, but also has to do with hardware manufacturers. They need to provide a way for open source developers to write and use drivers for their products. Without that "open-ness" the linux camp won't be able to penetrate into as wide user base as Windows. At the same time, linux camp will have to be careful in how they present themselves when they market their products as if they are as easy as installing and using Windows already because they are simply not (at least as of yet).

No comments: