Sunday 5 August 2007

Quotes from "The Cross" 4/5 - on Revealing Effect of the Cross of Christ

What fools we all are. What have you to boast in? Who are you? How do you live? You tell me you are a great intellectual, and I ask you, how do you live? What if everybody knew the things you do? What if everybody knew the things you think, or the things you play with in your imagination? Where do you stand? You, who are self-satisfied, are you ready to come up and to be cross-examined, and to be honest and admit how you live, and all the jealous, envious, rapacious thoughts, and how you commit murder in your mind? You have not done what that wretched assassin did in Dallas, Texas, the other day*, but you have done it in your spirit. You have murdered people. You hate them with a bitter hatred, and that is the thing that is damnable, and which causes the division, and builds the middle walls of partition. But it is only the cross that tells us that. There is nothing that will humble the pride of men, and of nations, except to see the truth as it is revealed by the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.

- p. 149-150, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, The Cross

* This sermon was preached in 1963 shortly after the assassination of President Kennedy.

I am a fool. I am a murderer. I am boastful, and being so good at it I am so subtle that people may not recognise it all the time. But as Dr. Lloyd-Jones challenges, in fact, as the Scripture confronts me, if everyone knew the things I do, and thoughts in my mind?God knows, and I must admit that I have pride, I have that bitter hatred. Oh, Lord, save me, and break my pride and make me humble once more, and every and each day in my life, that on the day I stand before you, I'll be found humble and I'll be known by You.

...God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ... (Gal 6:14 part)

No comments: