Saturday 4 August 2007

Quotes from "The Cross" 3/5 - on Being a Christian

Now, there are many people who think they are Christians when they are not. That is not my opinion, the Bible says it, and we know that it has been true throughout the centuries. There are people who think they are Christians simply because they are born in a particular country, or for other reasons of that kind. But this is the test, 'what is your boast?' If you boast more in your country than in the cross of Christ, there is no need to argue about it, you are not a Christian. Does that sound drastic? That is Christian teaching. The apostle Paul used to boast of the fact that he was a Hebrew. He did not afterwards. He was still glad that he was. He does not derogate from his appreciation of being a member of the family of God's children on earth, even in a physical sense. But he does not boast of it. It must not be the big thing, the thing that moves us most of all. It must not come first.

- p. 86, The Cross, Martyn Lloyd-Jones



God! Take away my boasting, pride, things I glory in, except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, for I am a Christian, and I want to be a Christian, and I know You want me to be one too. May I glory in our Lord Jesus Christ who was crucified on the cross, and in Him alone. May I glory in Him more and more... God help me...



...far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ... (Galatians 6:14, part, ESV)

No comments: