Tuesday 15 January 2008

The Bruised Reed - 0

I was challenged to read some works of Puritans when I read the blog post on Between Two Worlds.
The list looks great, but I don't think I can read all of them (I'm really so painfully slow in reading), so I'm planning on reading two books, or time permitting, three this year (among other books of course).

1) The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes
2) The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
3) The Mortification of Sin by John Owen (this one's probably going to be difficult even though the book itself is short, I've been hearing about John Owen's reputation as a difficult writer.)

Actually, I started reading one, 'The Bruised Reed'.
I think the inspiration came to me when I read the blurb by Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones:
I shall never cease to be grateful to... Richard Sibbes who was balm to my soul at a period in my life when I was overworked and badly overtired, and therefore subject in an unusual manner to the onslaughts of the devil... I found at that time that Richard Sibbes, who was known in London in the early seventeenth century as "The Heavenly Doctor Sibbes" was an unfailing remedy... The Bruised Reed... quietened, soothed, comforted, encouraged and healed me.

I sure wanted this quietening of my soul, soothing and comforting effects on my spirit, encouragement and healing of my heart, just like Dr. Lloyd-Jones talks about.

Perhaps, by God's mercy, I may receive such benefits as he did, in times of need like these.

Now, how about you also read a couple of puritan works this year? What would you like to read?

No comments: